ICE '89: Black Ice demake
A downloadable game for Windows, macOS, and Linux
This is a demake of @superdupergc's Tron-inspired hacking FPS, Black Ice, made because he was threating to sell floppies at @GaymerX with nothing actually stored on them.
You can get the real version here, which is worth checking out (and it's also on Steam!): http://superdupergc.itch.io/blackice
Yes, I actually have his permission to release this on my page.
Note, this game is for MS-DOS, OR an IBM-compatible with the 320x200 256-colour VGA/MCGA mode and some way to boot off a floppy or floppy image (El-Torito, anyone?).
It has been confirmed to work in
bootloader not tested on real hardware yet due to lack of floppies on my end @superdupergc tested it himself and confirmed that it does work on real hardware).
This game is Open Source! Like, really! I'm not just saying there's source code, it's actually MIT-licensed! So, here's some suggestions.
- Get it under the 4KB mark! That 760-byte font can be squeezed down to 190 bytes, and that 736-byte line_grid* stuff can be generated in less than 50 bytes of code! All without using a cruncher!
- Add sound!
- Add music!
- Add mouse support!
- Add joystick/gamepad support! (I really have no clue how to do this! Except maybe you could find some docs on MPU-401. Don't bother with USB, that's just suicide.)
- Increase the framerate from 18.22fps to something higher!
- Draw an RLE-compressed Black Ice logo!
- Manage to still keep it under the 4KB mark!
- Stick a proper "Game Over" screen in!
- Split the source into several files instead of leaving it as one long 1778-line mess!
- Make it actually resemble Black Ice!
But of course, what you really want to do is just steal the bootloader, because that took about 2 hours of fiddling and swearing just to get working. It loads the first *.CO* file it finds in the root directory and runs it, although currently it's limited to 16KB. (TIP: If you increment ES instead of DI, you can raise this limit to nearly 600KB.)
If you would like your game demade, contact me! More info on my main page: https://fanzyflani.itch.io/
Click download now to get access to the following files: